Thursday, September 15, 2011

Wrapping up my first unit!

I just completed my first unit, teaching setting to my sweet fourth grade groups. I couldn't have been blessed more with a better group of students for my student teaching. They truly are the most precious, respectful group that I could ever imagine.

For my lesson, we first just introduced setting (which is in a previous blog) and followed this with some exercises for the students to pick out the setting in a story using a "Setting the Scene" sheet. While the first attempt did not go as well as I had expected with independently picking out the setting from a story of their choice, I allowed the students to take my constructive criticism and make any changes that they saw necessary to their sheets. Many of the comments I made were that the students were not specific. For example, some said "school" and "day" as their setting, when it was possible to be more specific: such as "Huntington High School in the library" and "morning". By the end of our time together focusing on setting, the students were being very specific and giving me everything that I expected them to give to meet the standard.

While working on one lesson, the students were given a piece of an anchor chart, and the students were to take a "larger" setting (such as Huntington High School from our book "The Janitor's Boy") and find the smaller settings that were important to the story (such as Mr. Pike's music room, the hallway outside of Mr. Pike's classroom, the janitor's closet, the bell tower, etc). The students were then given a character, and they were to show the class how their character's traits changed based upon the setting that they were in. For example, Jack Rankin was relaxed in the bell tower and embarrassed in the hallway outside of Mr. Pike's classroom. While they had to find different character traits, we were discussing how the setting affects the character and each setting has a different effect on the character, or gives the character different character traits.

Below are a few pictures of my scholars hard at work:



No comments:

Post a Comment