Sunday, September 25, 2011

Full Control Friday!

Friday we had a substitute for the day, and basically it was my first day of having complete control of the classroom! Having my mentor teacher in my classroom on a normal day gives me the freedom to have the classroom to myself because she allows me to have my time with the students' attention, but she is sometimes still in the room or popping in and out. So this was the first time that the students realized that she wasn't there to help me with discipline if I needed it!

I was a little nervous when the students came in during the morning and realized that she was not there. I could see that they were worried about her, and I received many questions on where she was. I made sure to give a talk at the beginning of the day that the day was going to carry on as normal and I expected to receive the same respect they would normally give.

The day went marvelously!! The students were wonderful, full of respect and kindness. We had fun activities planned and I was truly impressed with how they acted during the day. Not that I expected any less, but I remember when there was a substitute when I  was in elementary school, it was basically like a free day and the students did not pay any attention. However, I was blessed with a really dedicated substitute and we worked together really well. I was so proud of myself, too, because I was able to handle 31 students in a productive school day :) I now have faced most of my worries about becoming a teacher and am ready to dive full force into my own classroom hopefully in the near future when I graduate!!

No comments:

Post a Comment