Thursday, September 22, 2011

Respect for School?

One thing that has really changed from when I was in elementary school is the respect that school holds in students' lives. I have noticed that some parents hold extracurricular activities as being a higher priority than their school work and it just blows me away. How are students supposed to become better readers if they do not read outside of school? The amount of time we spend reading in class is a good amount, however, it is not nearly enough time for a student to grow as a reader, or in mathematics, science or any other subject!

Football players get better by practicing. Runners get better by running. Swimmers swim better with swim practice. Why do some families not recognize the value of practicing for school?

In the past, if I said I did not want to do my homework, my parents would tell me I had no choice and my extracurricular activities were of a much lower importance. I would practice for school, and if I didn't, I didn't do anything else in the day. School was my main priority.

I have noticed that some students really value football and other organized sports. Some value them so much that they forget to do their math homework. I value sports as well; I love to play and watch sports. However, I do not see how teachers are held so accountable for making sure students are performing at the best of their ability when school is not a top priority in the rest of their lives.

I realize that some students just do not enjoy school for whatever reason. We can do everything in our power to try to change their attitude about school, but reality is, some students just do not enjoy it. However, teachers are trying their best. It is hard to hold students accountable for their work when they just do not have time for it in the afternoon because of a jam packed extracurricular schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment