Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Technology..Helpful?

I love the technology that is present in many classrooms. However, when you have a catastrophe like my classroom did when the Promethean Board just decided to take a break for a while, what do you do? Relying on technology is one thing that I am hesitant to begin to do because I personally think that students still need to have the visual reminders around the classroom about what they are learning. If everything is done on technology and on a smartboard, the students do not have that constant reminder of what they are learning about. For example, I am beginning to teach mini lessons on "setting". Today, I asked the students to tell me what they learned on the previous day about setting. When they are able to have a chart paper reminder of what we learned the day before, the students were able to take a quick glance at the wall with their work on it to jog their memory.
The picture above is the KWL chart of what the students know about setting, what they want to learn, and what they have learned throughout our discussions. I believe these are great visual diagrams to use in the classroom because students are constantly discovering new ideas and need a place to display their thoughts. During the day, if the students have learned something new about setting, they are able to grab a sticky note and write their idea on the sticky note. Then they are to place this sticky note on the chart, and at the end of the day, I will add their ideas to the chart.
With all that being said, I am VERY anxiously awaiting the arrival of our new and improve Promethean projector so we can begin to integrate technology on a deeper level. We are still exposing the students to technology with the help of netbooks and Ipod Touches, however, the students have grown up with these Promethean Boards, so I'm sure they are ready to have it back!

No comments:

Post a Comment