Monday, October 24, 2011

*Classroom*Environment*

One major aspect of teaching that I have learned throughout my student teaching experience is how a classroom environment affects the students. I understand that a learning environment is necessary in order for the students to succeed, but just the actual look and feel of the classroom is a huge part of learning.

The first aspect that I LOVE about my classroom is the fact that my mentor teacher uses lamps and natural lighting for the students. We are blessed to have windows and a door in our classroom, letting in natural lighting. The students enjoy this because it just feels natural in our classroom, until the sun starts beaming in their eyes, then they have an issue with it and the natural lighting gets covered up until the sun passes:)--They also have the privilege of having many lamps of various sizes and strengths. I believe this helps the students because having the overhead, bright, tiring lights are uncomfortable for me, so I know they are uncomfortable for the students.

Another aspect I love is the music that is constantly playing in the classroom. The music gets turned off during directions and such, but the students know when the music should be on or off. It helps calm the classroom and take away the silence that is sometimes created when testing, etc. It is really entertaining to me when I see a student who knows the words to a particular sound and they start mouthing the words when they think no one is looking :)

I have read many articles about how having student work on the walls makes a difference in the classroom feeling. So with that being said, we create anchor charts together that we hang up. For the sake of time and ability to be read, I write the information on the chart. However, as an extension to the lesson, the students are always welcome and encouraged to add their thoughts to the anchor chart with a post it note. Once I see an anchor chart that has a post it note on it, I make sure to read that note to the class and express my thanks for the student participating in the extension. After that, I have many students scrambling for a post it note to gain that encouragement too! I always keep the anchor chart at their level so they can continue to add ideas and post its when they feel necessary.

I find that a classroom environment is an idea that I think I have confidence in creating. I am really excited to get my own classroom to try out all of my ideas that I have!!

No comments:

Post a Comment