Monday, March 28, 2011

The Test that Determines My Future...


Want to know what is on my mind and has been on my mind for the past month nonstop? The GACE. While I understand the importance of this test, I can now totally relate to the elementary students who are stressing out about the CRCT and other tests that are weighted heavily. The moment that test was over, I felt a huge weight lifted off of my shoulders, but I was carrying around that weight for a good month or so which was extremely uncomfortable.
The test did drain me; I’m not going to lie. When I walked out and got home, I fell asleep and slept for so long. The thought of not passing this test will now be the weight on my shoulders for the next month, but I did everything I could to prepare for this test, so I feel like I could not do anything else!
I try to find the positive aspect from experiences like this one, which was hard for me to do! While stressing over the test and what will be on it, I realized, after the fact, that I had learned so much about history and science, and brushed up my mathematics and literature skills, that I was surprised about. I have now realized that science and social studies are not stressed enough in the schools, and I will teach these subjects when I have my own classroom. I was just thinking of the fact that I could not remember anything about wars, famous people, etc. and if I could not remember them, then why should I expect my students to remember them?! After taking this test, I have realized that I need to make sure that my lessons for my future classroom are meaningful so the students take a deeper understanding away from my lesson. I want my students to be able to remember all the information, not just to pass the GACE in their future, but to become well-rounded citizens that truly understand the world around them. 

1 comment:

  1. Great post - yours is the first one I've read since we changed from blogging about the readings and I like it!

    So, I wonder...were there questions about writing, language arts, or children's lit that you didn't know?

    I love how you relate this to the experience of the students, and knowing that memorizing facts doesn't necessarily lead to lasting learning.

    ReplyDelete