Monday, January 31, 2011

Classroom Environment and Writing Workshop...Connected?


One idea that I completely agree with from the readings is the fact that the way we, as teachers, set up our classroom has a great affect on the way that students feel about writing in the classroom. I believe that a classroom that really addresses students’ needs dealing with writing is one that has all kinds of materials, posters, and encouraging quotes or ideas posted around the room.
            My placement first grade classroom really has this type of positive energy when it comes to writing time. The students know exactly when they are to write and know exactly what they are supposed to do during this time. The students also have posters and “thinking ideas” around the room to look at if they need an extra push to think of something to write about. Students in this class also are very respectful when they are sharing with each other and are very helpful to each other during this time, and the whole day for that matter! I believe that this type of environment was established from the beginning of the school year, and the students will be able to keep this type of environment and learning for the years to come.
            Also, as described in the chapters, it is important for the teacher to show the students how they want their writing classroom time to be. The teacher should have her own journal to document her writing, in order for the students to see that she values writing as well. If a student can see that the teacher is writing, and teaching, it may help the student to gain an appreciation of writing. I have a few college teachers that write while we are writing in class, and it has helped me stay focused and has helped me appreciate writing more than I did before.
            

1 comment:

  1. I am thrilled to hear about your classroom. It is so wonderful to hear examples of younger grades (well, any grade) with a well functioning writing time. I hope you'll share your insights and ideas with all of us.

    I think you're right on about seeing teachers engage in something and knowing it is important to them. For me, sitting down to write also reminds me first hand of how hard what I am asking students to do is. It is easy to forget how difficult a blank page can be for a writer who doesn't quite have their ideas ready yet. To face that blank page on a regular basis keeps me connected to what the students are going through - and also reminds me how exciting it is to succeed.

    beth

    ReplyDelete